Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Audio post - Pramadhavanam - Karaoke experiment




Any guy with a little singing impetus and some mallu blood is bound to be lured into singing some of the great hits of Yesudas. In the 90s, the song that rocked every malayali's house was "Pramadhavanam". I do not really know if KJY won a national award for this or not. I have heard people say MGS won the award for NaadharoopiNi of the same film. Nevertheless, His Highness Abdullah is a masterpiece of Late Raveendran with breathtaking vocals by all lead singers. My first tryst with HHA's song was in DAV rhapsody 1994 when sambasivam sang "devasabathalam" with Ganesh on mrudangam. Sambasivam was kind of an icon at DAV. He had been attending DAV from his first grade and was a very popular guy due mainly to his singing skills. When I heard this song on stage for the first time, I thought it was nice. I was not very impressed by Sambasivam's rendition though the whole school gave a rapturous applause when he had finished. I never sang in DAV and was known to be a singer only to balagopalan, who till date is one of the closest friends I have ever got.

But later when I heard the original of HHA in the third year of my college, I was stunned by the breathtaking work. Though I have always been familiar with mallu songs from my birth, HHA changed my perspective completely and urged me to start exploring them further. Pramadhavanam became an instant hit in my mind and I started listening to a lot of mallu semi-classicals, influenced primarily by it. After a long self-learning, I decided to attempt singing these songs with or without karaoke and on stage. This version you hear was recorded 2 years back. Let me know what you think. The quality is kept low to minimize file size.

20 comments:

  1. very good MS
    nice rendition

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murali,
    nice one.But lot of disturbance in the background makes it hard to listen the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May be I should put the real audio version..I shall do it in a min.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sen - check now. A better file is uploaded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:22 AM

    If you liked HHA, you should listen to the songs of the movie "Bharatam" by Raveendran.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anon:

    I have listened not only ot bharatham but also a lot of raveendran's hits since I heard HHA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice rendition. :). My fave soundtracks include - HHA, Bharatham, Kamaladalam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb Murali. You should also listen to Bharatham as the others said. Especially the song "raama kadhaa gaanalayam". Another great work from Ravindran master.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Ganesh on mrudangam" was the blogger Ganesh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. dinesh - thanks. all the albums that you mention are superb. you may want to try suryagayatri and savidham also.

    Jo,

    I have the karaoke track for ramakatha gaanalayam. Let me send that to you with pramadhavanam. It will be nice to hear them in your voice.

    No this was some other ganesh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:13 AM

    what are the swara notes for the brihas in the anu-pallavi? I mean theli deepam.... en..?????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Besides Raveendran, another composer who excels in Classical Malayalam songs is "Bombay Ravi". Listen to the songs of the film "Sargam"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:49 PM

    Pretty good :)

    In case you already did not know about it, check out his light music album "Vasanthageethangal" (Someone told me that it was his very first album). I think it is a great album.

    ReplyDelete
  15. anon for swara notes:

    I will put that out soon.

    anon on bombay ravi:

    Check this link:

    http://swara.blogspot.com/2005/09/audio-post-sangeethame-try-with.html

    It has sangeethame amara sallaapamE from sargam by me.

    Hari:

    I know vasantha geethangaL. Maamaangam is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:58 AM

    is the swara ready, especially the briha during the end of anu pallavi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the Li dhee pam
    pa Sa niSa pani

    ka Li niza lin
    ma ni pani gapa

    kaik kum biL
    gapa mapa gama

    vi ri yum bOL
    sa ma gama gama

    enn..
    sagm npmg nigg mggs ni

    (well this is what I understood of the song.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very impressive! You have a wonderful voice Murali.

    Infact, I have been on & off your blog the whole day, but a certain "Sambasivam" in this songs trivia made me sit up. Reason: I am his cousin, of course if we both are talking about the same one!!! He passed his 12th in 1994 and is a CA now.

    Anyways, your rendition is crisp and if I may... watching for 'kha', 'gha' in all your malayalam renditions might make it better . My 2C (-:

    How are you able to obtain -1 tracks for songs?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Hi Murali,

    Nice rendering of a great song.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Narayanan (a music lover).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Hi Murali..I,m not a singer or musician..I enjoy music a lot.. I,m a pure admirer of Raveendran Master,since the release of Ezhu swarangalum. I really don't know How many times I heard it in my life !!! I 'm so happy to hear you sing the song..Even Yesudas cannot sing again a song of Raveendran Master..That makes him a breed apart..Nice try..keep exploring....cfcarbon@rediffmail.com

    ReplyDelete