Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Audio Post-Swara raaga sudha - From andha 7 NaatkaL


Vocals: Meera, Murali
Film : Andha 7 naatkaL
Composer: MSV

Well after a hiatus. I am putting a song for your kind / unkind scrutiny. This song was featured by me in http://dhool.com/ as the "Song of the day" probably 4 days back. I set a very simple karaoke track devoid of all the interludes. What I have to say about the song can be found below, but I need to say a word about my co-singer - Meera Manohar.


I came to know Meera as a visitor to my blog and when I checked her songs out in her webpage I was mightily impressed. A beautiful voice with a clear diction ! I think she is one of the best singers I have come across and has persuaded to sing some songs (both film and my compositions). We have worked independnetly on the song and hence when I heard her version first, I got goose bumps. I look forward to working with this very talented artist in the coming days

From dhool:
========

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/740.html

Today we feature a song "Swara raaga" - from the Bhagayaraj Classic - Andha 7 naatkaL. I saw this movie when I was young and did not quite understand the intricacies of love at that time (well..I guess the condition is still the same Smile ) All I remember is that I laughed my gut out whenever Kaja sheriff (?) - the sidekick of Bhagyaraj - came in the scene and the way bhagyaraj reacted for some situations rolling his eyes in a comical manner. Also, I remember enjoying all the songs which to this day, IMO, are some of the most beautiful compositions from the one and only master - MSV. To any person, who is unfamiliar with MSV's composing style, I have always suggested "kavidhai arangErum nEram" and "thendraladhu unnidaththil".

(1) "Kavidhai arangerum" has a beautiful cascade like structure where every upcoming line seems like a logical (rather magical) extension of the previous line. It is a song, where it appears, no line can be replaced with a different tune (excluding MSV' here) and be delivered as is - without any extra improvisations.

(2) "Thendraludhu unnidaththil" - must have been analyzed to a great extent in tfmpage earlier. But every time I listen to this song, it makes me wonder how somebody could come up with something as lovely as this. While "Kavidhai arangErum" is a composition which appears like a neat flow of logical music, this song is a maverick composition. In the charanam, every alternating line uses a different gandhaaram. for e.g. -

uLLam engum pongum aasai indru thangaradham ERiyathu - uses G3.
unnai paarththu sollum vaarththai indru gangai ena maaRiyadhu - uses G2

This goes through out the charanam. Unless the composer is a genius, such a composition is impossible.

(3) eNNi irundhadhu eedEra - is a song I have liked but never held in high regard when compared to the other two songs.

I had always thought that this movie had just three songs. I had no clue I will be pleasantly surprised by another classy number, the SOTD, from the master - a number which probably did not attain as much popularity as the other three. "swara raaga" is a beautiful composition sung by Jayachandran and Vani Jairam, which lacks the pomp and grandeur of the other 3 songs in orchestration. But this must never be held against it since the tune is absolutely classy. In the pallavi however I found an odd thing happeneing:

ssa ri,ma mri ri,sa sasarisa sa;;;
anu raga mO hangaL uNarhthtugaiyO

Whereas the harmonium which follows the line and plays the notes sounds :

ssa ri,ma mga ri,sa sasarisa sa;;;

This is a subtle but important difference. The former denotes a prayogam in raga "shudhdha saaveri" and the latter sounds like "aarabhi". These ragas are close and can be confusing for amatuer singers especially. (In fact aarabhi and saama are even closer to confuse you enough that you will quit thinking about carnatic if you are an amateur).

Initially to me it appeared that JC had not really picked up the master's composition since I believe MSV played the harmonium in the song. But, when I listened to VJ, I was convinced that JC had done his job fine. The reason I say this is because, I am a person who believes that VJ is one singer who NEVER goes wrong in the notes. She is like an absolute reference point. Since she sings the line exactly the way JC sings, I came to a conclusion that JC is vindicated.

ok, then what about the harmonium ? I think it was MSV himself who played, but given a master marmonium player that he is, I am compelled to believe that it is his eccentricity that showed up in playing. I remember Sriram Laxman telling me how MSV had played some entirely new chord progressions for his old tunes on his harmonium when both met. I choose to believe that MSV just played the harmonium in a way different from the pallavi tune in jest.

The rest of the song however meanders through so many different swaras that one wonders if this man really required any "raaga" to compose songs. A genius in every sense of the word. Another beauty is the alternating malayalam and tamil lyrics - two languages I die for. CheNda meLam is some thing that has hardly been used in tamil songs. This is another specialty in this song.

Enjoy the SOTD and please let me know when this song is featured in the film.

21 comments:

  1. I am speechless.. Nothing less than a magical enchanted feel.. Very beautiful both of you !!! A great composition and lovely divine tune.. And both of you have performed amazing..God Bless you both.. Great work !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that was perfect... nothing more to say.. murali..very nice to hear your voice after a long time... that was totatly outstanding.... meera has also done a wonderful job.... crystal clear.. both of u...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... her voice is so deep and a very clear background.. does smthing unexplainable when u hear her voice with headphones..

    nice to hear ur voice after a long time.. I smhow cud not recall this song in the movie..

    tata
    sukku
    PS: hope to hear more n more often

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey murali.. Forgot to mention.. I am really taken by your vision of the song. You dissect it so well and then reconstitute it perfectly back together. :) Well done again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all... Appreciate your time to listen to this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murali you guys have done a wonderful job. And also goes to prove that melody is the heartline of any composition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was awesome both of you.All the songs in this movie are AWESOME. Nope, awesome is an understatement.
    After going through your blog, now I know who the person behind SOTD is. I remember you from "Sindhipogum mugiley..." days. In fact, thats one of my favorite SOTD. Great work and thanks for your comments in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nyns:

    your comments are appreciated. MSV had many instruments coming in into the interludes. But what I noticed in this song is that, those instrumetns were just embellishments,the heart of the song is the tune that he has created. So, I chose to do a simple dholak beat with minimum changes in playing style. A piano to produce the 1-string intrument and a some bg violins for shruthi. harmonium was used to delineate the portions. Happy you liked it.

    Anand:

    A lot has been going behind the scenes and have been keepiung terribly busy. I think, once many of the songs being done get finalized, I will have more to share with you all. Please do keep and eye and pass your comments.

    sukhanya:

    does smthing unexplainable when u hear her voice with headphones' spot on about meera's rendition.

    Jo:

    I dont think I can match your speed ever in singing and uploading :) Thanks for your support.

    Ganesh:

    your words about melody are very true. I have listened to your composition. will send you my feedback soon.

    aravindan:

    that is indeed very pleasantly surprisiing. I remember that episode of sindhippogum mugile very well. thanks for kindling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed Murali.. the tune is so powerful by itself. It needs few accessories to adorn. This one is a beautiful melody. As you allow follow the tune, it takes you on a beautiful journey. You get dissolved in the progression. Has a natural flow. so intense and heart warming that you get hooked. Has these little surprise tunes.. n you cannot help but bow to the genius composition. Thanks again for this song.. Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Murali,

    No idea when this song comes in the movie.!!

    I was expecting 'kavidhi Arangerum' and was pleasantly surprised to listen to this number.

    My knowledge about Carnatic Music and raagas is almost zero..so I can't comment on those here.

    I enjoyed all the songs in that movie..though my favorite was Kavidhai Arangerum song.

    Now to your song.!! Yeah, Meera's voice is amazing..and yours from the last time I heard you has also changed a little. It is absolutely sweet now Murali.! Fantastic Rendering.!! Loved every bit of the song and the simple Karaoke.!

    Hats off.!! Look forward to more songs !

    ReplyDelete
  12. andha ezhu natkalh is a nice movie, the songs are brilliant and you've done a wonderful job!!!! For a moment, i saw my keyboardist in ur review of MSV's numbers. He'll start off calling him the "king of chords" and go on....

    PS-where'd u get the song from? I don't remember hearing it in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Narayanan:

    I think my voice has definitely changed a bit. I think I am sounding more basal these days. BTW, carnatic knowledge enakkum kaadhu vazi dhaan. so dhairiyama neenga pEsalaam :)


    Bharat:

    Thanks. MSV / Kannadasan maadhiri oru genius inime paakka mudiyumaa TFM la apdingaradhu periya sandhEgam dhaan.

    For all those who are wondering about when the song comes in the movie:

    It does not come in the movie. It was available in the CD.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Murali & Meera - sung beautifully -was serene and peaceful listening to the song. Keep it coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL :) ...Didn't expect that.!
    I thought this is a modern day phenomenon. Songs not in the movie but CD.!!

    One of the latest that I wanted to see on the screen - The SPB song in Anbe Sivam - Mouname varthayai pesi kondoM. Wonderful song..!! but not in the movie.!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Murali and Meera,
    That was a real treat...I am impressed by your Malayalam pronunciation, Murali..kalakki!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice voice murali. first time to your blog.. well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific job guys !!!

    You guys are the major league !!!!

    Thanks Murali for having a look around my blog and for your inputs..appreciate it very much dude ! .....Thalai irukkum bodh u vaal adakoodadhunu solluvaanga....yedho try panninen will take your much-valued feedback...you are Fab !!! Adulation is what i got for your divine gifts....Ur da Man! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:20 AM

    Hi Mulla, U have a very young fan - My daughter, Navi (2) fell in love with this song and she actually preferred this over her favorite ELMO program!!!
    Hats off to you!!

    And Meera -- I cannot say anything words -- she is wonderful !!! I wish her all the best in the world

    ReplyDelete
  20. Murali,
    Great song well rendered by both of you. Heard it in Meera's blog and wanted to leave an appreciative comment on the way you have sung the starting swaras.

    Excellent.

    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete