Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Charukesi on Veena - Sheela Raman

Artist: Sheela Raman

Sheela Raman, singer and veeNa player par excellence, is one of the people in my life I have been fortunate to have befriended. She was one of the light houses for the reckless ship that I was, as a singer. Encouraged me to compose, patted when I impressed and scolded when I went overboard in my obsession with technical details and taught me the importance of bhaavam and sukham in renditions. Happily married and settled with a lovely daughter in India. Although our discussions have become infrequent these days due to time constraints, I will always remember the insightful and affectionate inputs that she has given me in singing.

Today a snippet of her talent on veeNa is being rpesented to you. A bhaavam-rich charukesi on the wonderful veeNa.

A moving rendition from an artist I respect !

10 comments:

  1. That is great! You're lucky to have such company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaha Murali !! It was such a wonderful feeling, listening to this first thing in the morning..

    As Jo says, u are lucky to have such company ..

    Cheers,
    Barani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly awesome and divine !!!! veeNa when played like this beats any other instrument for me ... !

    >> Let me know if you would like to try a semi-classical composition of mine based in
    >> charukesi.

    Sure .. let me know the details .

    cheers
    Krishna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember books saying veena as a divine instrument and it can produce all the graces of our music. This is what I've heard and read. Sheela has definitely proved that.Miga arumai!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful.. marvelled absolutely. :) Thoroughly enjoyed and melted away.. (still playing as i type this)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely divine..gotta agree with Krishna, nothing beats Veena. Thanks for giving us a chance to listen..is there a way to listen to more of her works?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Folks:

    Happy that you are enjoying it. Will pass your words to her.

    Magic:

    I have some more snippets. I shall put them sporadically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminded me of my paattu teacher in India. Had an amzing 4 yrs listening to my pattu teacher & her sister (Geetha Ramanathan Bennett), and I used to get an dose of her wonderful playing when I arrived early for my class.

    Sheela has indeed gifted fingers which traverse the veenai enthralling one many like us!

    Please do post more of her works soon Murali.. and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:10 AM

    Murali,

    I have heard this recording earlier from Sheela directly. She is a good artist and a very good critic of music too.

    Besides the good bhavam in playing this particular raaga, it was an interesting precision used by her on those accompanying strums played on the 3 side strings of veena.

    Good to hear this clip again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veena should defnly be the king(or is it queen?) of all stringed instruments! beatific!

    ReplyDelete