Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Teaser 5- Azagaay poosum manjaL

Azhagaay poosum - அழகாய் பூசும் மஞ்சள் -Teaser by murali-venkatraman

One of the biggest complaints that my music friends have is that I dont sit down and finish the songs that I start. Well, truly speaking there are some reasons:

  1. Lack of proper equipment. Somehow I have been having a bad time with all soundcards with limited money I have to buy them.
  2. Serious lack of time.
  3. I generally try to think of too many things at the same time and no wonder sometimes I lose focus. Many songs have been composed for which tunes and lyrics are ready but orchestration is only half way through.
  4. With my minimal knowledge in orch'n, I still have this burning desire to create musical interludes which have a life of their own. Overambitious - I guess - given the puny knowledge to back it up ! With so many softwares and loops available, it is relatively easy to "fill a tune" with inance musical interludes, but I am trying to see if I can transcend beyond this limitation. Since I do NOT have the required expertise, I have to toil long and hard to be really convinced that the orchestration sounds tight and fresh.
This song, the tune of which was composed a while back has its lyrics written by Udhaya. I asked him to start with the line "azagaay poosum manjaL" and he penned some very beautiful lines for the song. 

The sax (not the violin) plays the tune in this bit. Only the prelude - pallavi - interlude 1 can be heard in this teaser. The volume levels are yet to be balanced properly. You may want to sing these lines along with the sax:

M:
அழகாய் பூசும் மஞ்சள் / azagaay poosum manjaL
அரிதாய் தோன்றும் திங்கள் / aridhaay thOndrum thingaL

F:
வானம் ஏந்தும் போதும் / vaana, Ednhum pOdhum
பூமி தேடுகின்றாய் / bhoomi thEdugindraay

M:
கதிரின் ஆடை போர்த்தி / kadhirin aadai pOrththi
யாரை ஏய்க்க வந்தாய்? / yaarai Eykka vandhaay

F:
சுடரின் பார்வைச் சூட்டை / chudarin paarvaych choottai
மறவா காலைப் பூக்கள் / maRavaa kaalaip pookkaL

M:
காதல்.. வெள்ளை நெஞ்சில் கள்ளம் சேர்க்கும் / kaadhal..veLLai nenjnil kaLLam sErkkum

17 comments:

  1. Azagaay poosum manjal
    Aridhaay thondrum thingal
    Amudhaay pozhindadhu nenjil.

    Nalini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murali I can certainly relate to this :).
    The pallavi is very nice, looking forward to listen it with full orchestration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nalla Catchy tune !! It gives that "Nenjil Pattampoochi" feeling.. Eager to listen to the final version.

    Barani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:00 AM

    hey Murali,

    Wonderful man, its really cool, I just loved first flute bit and started commenting about it. Awesome job...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice tune, love the orchestration too..waiting to hear the full version with vocals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maaamsss....superbbbb melody man...i really like the interlude man....add some 100 notes in the same time frame with some distortion and high speed picking and uve made my day (lol)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murali,

    I've heard you sing the lyrics too so I have an idea about the finished piece. The orchestration is decent. Keep at it. Don't go for a home run (I should say sixer in this crowd) at every turn.

    Don't second guess yourself so much that you barely produce anything. Keep churning and you'll soon have the good outweigh the bad. You need bad ones to see your growth and learn from. This is not preaching since I practice it. Creativity is not a zero-sum game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hamsadhwani at its all time melody Murali!! Listening to this almost after a couple of months now :)

    Looking fwd to it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came as a surprise!! You didn't tell me when talked yesterday! :-)

    Now, ahem... I shall prepare to do the homework. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Nice indeed. Looking forward to the final version soon.

    Is this 'Hamsadhvani'?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ppl,

    thanks for the comments. The tune was done a while back. ya..it is the nemesis raga of Meera - hamsadhwani - again in the pallavi :). Charanam takes a different turn.

    One thing that I attempted in this song is a new kind of orchestration where one raga's chords would back up the lead for another raga. The interlude violin piece that you hear is in hansdhwani. However, the counterpoint flute and the chords that back up follow the progression of Mohanam. Just trying something out..all the violin leads are synthetic.. After hearing bhavya's violin in Hai mera dil, I have been wondering if somebody can actually play live violin for this composition..hmm..logistics...

    Jo - well that was surprise for me too :) Dont do any homework yet..I will sing and send you the song..you can learn from that :)

    Barani / rosh / ganesh / nalini- Thanks dudes. I have a simple goal: (1) Make my listeners go for the play button three times back to back (2) Or the tune should haunt them without any reason. If I can do that, I will consider the song to have impacted them. Or else, it is just another run of the mill attempt form me.

    Dhiraj - all flutes are synthetic. I wish some real flute player plays for me. Thanks.

    Udhaya - I understand. will finish asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can be sure you have achieved both 1) and 2) :) This one is a very well done piece...keep going without any doubts :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have already started humming the "manjal" and the "thingal" parts of the first two lines...the way it waves at those words in the tune is cool!
    am sure this will be one of the songs that will keep playing in my mind over a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:41 AM

    a very brilliant piece in sax...good work

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi,

    this is a very beautiful composition, the build-up in the prelude was excellent, i think a good song happens when the tune and feel in the lyrics blends togather weel and that is there in this song, but i think it will take time for me to understand the first interlude

    Smile
    Sureshkumar

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey Murali!
    nice composition...simply nice!
    would like to hear the final version with the complete orchestration and the vocals.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:35 AM

    dear murali, the track sounds very
    rich and i can see you were full of ideas while you were working on this one.

    i have one observation in your bass line: i guess u play pdnsrgmp or something like that; it is unique in its own way; you may try sticking to hamsadwani; assuming you are playing in f, how about cef.g.ac;

    i am amazed by the great sound quality you have despite so many instruments.

    ReplyDelete