Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ponnira Vaanam - Tamil version of Mallelu poose

Song : Ponnira Vaanam
Original Song : Mallelu Poose (Telugu)
Singer : SPB
Composer : Rajan-Nagendra
Movie : Intinti Ramayanam
Tamil Lyrics : Udhaya
Performed By : Murali Venkatraman
Mixed By : Pradip Somasundaran




Nearly 5 years ago, Raja Govindarajan - a popular telugu and tamil stage singer in North America sent me an assorted collection of songs in 2 cassettes. One contained great numbers from Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan, Ghulam Ali and Ajoy chakraborty. The other one had a collection of SPB's , what I think, are the finest telugu songs. And it included:

1. oh cheli idhi toli pata
2. madhumaasa vELalo
3. aNuvu aNuvula
4. naa hrudayapu kovilalo
5. pooche poolalona
6. nenoka prema pipaasini
7. kadhile mEgama
8. ee divilo virisina paarijatamu
9. shivaranjani navaragini
10. mallelu poose

Although every number is very dear to me, it is last song that took my breath away. I had not heard a melody so captivating in telugu till then and I ended up playing the song over and over the entire day ! Every note oozes romance (in telugu of course which I have not a clue a about), but you could feel every note's warmth in the enchanting rendition of SPB. Language was immaterial to understand or let me say, feel the song. I can, without any element of exaggeration, say that this song provoked the composer and singer in me. Honestly I was outraged by the disparity in creation - the bundle of talent that were Rajan-Nagendra and the silken voiced supremo SPB and the banal musical pretender that I am. I think I said loudly in the car:

"mavanE..eppadi..eppadi paadaraan paaru..yENda ennai ellaam padichchaan ? !@#$..eppadi oru tune pOttu irukkaan paaru..ippadi oru tune pOttutu seththu pOidaNum"

And I have found myself mouthing similar words when I hear MSV's compositions. Please regard my appreciation in singular address as the love for the artists I worship. I have always heard envy never brings love. But when it concerns me, I think in the case of SPB, MSV, KJY and IR, I make an exception. My envy is simply an extension of the deep affection I have towards their musical creations.

I did have the temerity to perform this song a couple of times on stage - once in telugu and once in kannada (aaseya bhava)

==========

If mallelu poose's linguistics cannot be fully appreciated by me, I know who I need to turn to. Udhaya. Impressed heavily by the song, he wrote tamil lyrics albeit with a philosophical overtone and not the romantic overtone the original has.

# 219 பொன்னிற வானம்
மல்லெலு பூசே என்ற தெலுங்குப் பாடலை தமிழில் கேட்க நினைத்ததின் விளைவு இது.

பொன்னிற வானம்
போடுது மோடம்
ஏனிந்த மாறுதல்?
இதயமுமே அந்த வானம் போல அல்லவா?

பொன்னிற வானம்
போடுது மோடம்
ஏனிந்த மாறுதல்?

சரணம் 1
எதிர்வரும் காற்றினிலே
எவருக்கும் மாறும் வழி
மாறிடும் பாதையிலும்
ஊன்றிடு உன் கொடி (2)

சதுரங்க ஆட்டத்திலே
நகர்வது முறைப்படியே
வாழ்கையின் போக்கினிலே
முறையே புரியலே

தோல்வியின் சன்னதியே தந்த வரம் இந்த அனுபவம்

(பொன்னிற வானம்...

சரணம் 2
ஏக்கங்கள் தேங்கிடவே
கனவுகள் பெருகிடுமே
வேண்டிய முயற்சியிலே
ஏக்கங்கள் விலகுமே (2)

வெற்றியின் படிகளை
அடைந்திட பல வழி
அத்தனை வழியிலும்
முயற்சி முதல் படி

வெற்றியை பகிர்ந்திடவே சொந்த பந்தம் வந்து சேருமே

(பொன்னிற வானம்...

When I got the lyrics I had to say this :

"mavane..eppadiyya ezudharaan ippadi?"

In order to stay true to the philosophical overtone of Udhaya's lines, I chose to underplay the romantic element that is present all over in SPB's telugu rendition. So, what you hear is what Udhaya and I cooked up in the background of Rajan-Nagendra's orchestration and SPB's shadow. Please let us know how you feel.

=========
Thanks to Pradip who helped me to mix this.

16 comments:

  1. An extremely pleasant song rendered easily by you. Thought this movie came in kannada as well with music by Rajan Nagendra !?!

    Good one and nice lyrics as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..truly sublime...very nice feel...though the music does not appeal to me as much...nice job by udhaya as well...keep on rocking mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply superb murali ! Lyrics adds up the flavour.Nice done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. i really felt relaxed and nice after hearing it.
    keep it up murali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. murali very smooth rendition. Can u correct the small pitch/range problems in charanam "vetri....." line and the last pallavi where u sing "vanam poole"? It would be more better if u could do it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very melodious composition and a nice rendition by you, Murali.

    Two things I noticed...
    1) In "வெற்றியின் படிகளை" you sound like "metriyin".
    2) In "வெற்றியை பகிர்ந்திடவே" you were bit off.

    Nice to see you blogging after a long gap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi murali,

    rombho nalla work by u... keep it up.. excellent renderation.. simply superb.. no words to express... avolo azaga irunthathu Murali!!!!!!!!! oru nalla virunthu kidaithathu ungal kittenthu... Udhaya's lyrics awesome paa... evn thou i havent heard the telugu version sung by SPB sir but i am really happy to hear the tamil version from ur cute voice... keep the show going on... give us more of good songs rendered by you soon... keep going murali...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. Pradip and Aravind - I will give it a try. But the word vetri seems a very difficult place because of the absence of a vowel or makaram.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I corrected the end as Pradip had directed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i'm a big fan of the telugu version of this song, this sounds equally cool in tamil. kudos to both of you. am really glad to see your blog back in action.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:10 AM

    Murali your interest towards the music is making me feel proud to be your listener..i enjoyed the song..fine tuned lyrics..

    keep rocking..!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a lyricist my craft doesn't reach fulfillment until a singer
    sings it. With many songs I don't ever get to hear them sung, so
    the beauty of the inspiration, the joy of practicing my art stays
    within me without being experienced by others. This is what they mean
    when they say that a writer's life is solitary (not that the writer
    is lonely or secluded!). Such was the case with this song until
    Murali breathed life into it. And my, what a life it breathes!

    When I heard Murali sing with the exact emotion that the original
    song left in me,the emotion that pushed the Thamizh words out of me,
    I saw all that was beautiful and reverential about art manifest right
    there and wept at its altar.

    முரளி, கலையும் நட்பும் பொருத்தவரையில் நீ என்னைச் சேர்ந்த செல்வம்!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well done Murali, good song and u have done full justice to this melody...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all. And udhaya - the feeling is mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice rendition Murali - and nice sounding lyrics Udhaya -
    unfortunately now it is my turn to feel lost as to what the words are saying....(not knowing much tamil) they sound soft to stay true to the wonerful melody from Rajan Nagendra.

    I adore their music - and they are quite a few other gems from them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Hi, Nice song. Can u pls mail me the Tamil version of the song on zakaas4u@yahoo.co.in

    Thnx in advance.

    zakaas4u

    ReplyDelete