Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Chenthar Mizhi - With Rashmi Nair - A tribute to Sahana

Song : Chentharmizhi
Movie: Perumazakkaalam
Singers : Madhu Balakrishnan, Chithra
Composer : M. Jayachandran

Performed by : Murali Venkatraman, Rashmi Nair



It is rare, in the current trend of predominantly cacophonous songs, to find a gem which emphasizes the beauty of classical ragams. Sahaana is on such ragam and M.Jayachandran is one such great contemporary composer. He may rightly be termed the successor of Raveendran. Deep classical knowledge and high creativity distinguish him from the rest. His songs in the movie perumzakkaalam are wonderful and he has mixed hindustani and carnatic styles throughout the movie. The movie itself was a beauty and the music just elevated it.

When this song came in my mind, I asked Divya if she would be willing to sing it. She told me " Chetta - I have already sung this Murali Ramanathan !" (See here). The most comical thing is that I had commented on her blog about their rendition myself. Such is the state of my great memory. Pradip can tell some other stories about my memory too :) So I thought may be rashmi would be interested and here it is.

When I started listening to the song I was wondering why Madhu had imparted a heavy dose of classicism in the brighas and sangathis. I expressed this to Rashmi and she said : "that is because it is a duet between iyer aathu mami and mama". Then I saw the video and subsequently saw the movie too. Frankly Madhu's voice in this song is like how dew covers the garden smoothly in a beautiful morning - it can hardly be felt by the leaves, flowers and the trees. But it is there in all glory. The rendition is supremely serene and inimitable. I told rashmi - "I dont think I will be able to do a great justice to the song, but I will try". And here it is for you.

19 comments:

  1. Classic Sahana! Lovely song!!
    I like the clarity in Rashmi's voice. Very well rendered by both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. again a fab work by both of you...
    gr8 applause to both of you... i havent heard this song b4... but excellent renderation by both of you guys...again a good selection of song...U both hav dne a good justice to this song i feel... keep giving us such more treat murali... keep rocking buddy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rashmi, Excellent Job! Your voice is so sweet and addictive. Thanks for a wonderful treat!

    Murali, Romba nanna irrukku.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murali - MJ is my favorite these days. I like his compositions, his style and above all the instruments he uses.

    And - Chendharmizhi is my recent favorite of his. ( I've not listened to Nivedhiyam yet). I listened to Divya/Murali sing it..and fell for it.

    Now, you and Rashmi have done a wonderful job. You've brought our the beauty of the song really well, though I noticed a few places where you've slipped. 9 / 10 for you.

    Rashmi is amazing. What a voice. Rashmi has to tell us if she was smiling as she sang this song..I felt that way. 10/10

    One crib - The karaoke levels could have been a little higher especially when you and Rashmi sing..! Actually very low.

    Great Job guys.!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice and melodious..made me sleep!!zzzzz! Amazing as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sindhuja, Ramya, Nalini & NV : Thank you for listening, I am really glad you'll enjoyed the song. I appreciate all the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Hi Murali.
    First of all, very good attempt.
    Your style of singing style was a bit different from the original and it was good. You could have added a little more "romance" to the rendition.
    Rashmi has a very beautiful voice and did justice to the song.
    Also, this is one of our favorite songs - the music director and the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:52 PM

    hi murali,
    this is one of my favorite song.
    you had ur own style of singing. excellent job.
    i think you could have added a bit more feel to the song.
    keep singing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful rendition by both of you. A different treat to ears :) keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent rendition by both of you Murali n Rashmi .. Just loved hearing it !! Keep bringing more from this combo !! :D ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent singing. I like Sahana raag very much - Raveendran master has done 'Gange nee parayalle' in this same raaga - a marvellous composition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice attempt...Murali...seemed you were too much conscious about the lyrics.Rashmi was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know nothing about the nitty gritty about music, but god, this was awesome. I love soft flowing music and you have a great voice Murali. :) Thanks to you two for a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Murali: Nice attempt. Innovative improvs on the original.

    Rashmi: Very very nice.... You have got an amazingly beautiful voice.

    Wonderful pick indeed-- Sahaana in all its glory

    ReplyDelete
  16. hmm...murali and rashmi...wonderful wonderful job...very nicely done indeed

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful song! Extremely well rendered by both of you. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous11:23 PM

    soothing melody....what else a music lover needs....? Thanks murali n rashmi.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everytime I started listening to this song, Sumthing came my way.. I was badly in sahana mood and reached here now..
    Beautiful song.. Murali,Unga kuralai romba naal kazhichu sahana la ketten..nalla irundhudhu
    Rashmi you have such a beautiful voice..

    ReplyDelete