Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Vidhata Talapuna - And an old poem of mine - The channel between the blind and mute

Song : Vidhata Talapuna
Movie: Srivennela
Singers : SPB, Susheela
Composer : K.V.Mahadevan
Lyrics : Seetarama Sastry
Performed by : Murali Venkatraman





Vidhata Talapuna - An old telugu karaoke recording | Musicians Available

I am up from the slumber with a telugu number (ooh..sounds like a telugu movie dialogue ? :-)). I have not been exactly inactive musically since composing keeps me busy. But my singing nose-dived because of severely blistered throat which persisted for almost 2 months and the after effects are still haunting me. I have just started recovering and hopefully this song will dust off my rust.


Research has kept me utterly busy that I have started hating it. (Who knows, in some years, if financial situation permits, I will ditch research for music composing.) And I have also been working on some articles on music which will probably get published in dhool and this blog simultaneously.

How would two lovers - one blind and the other mute, communicate ? This was an interesting question I had when I was in college. It inspired me to write a poem in a modern style without alliterations or rhymes. This poem got published in my college magazine.

To my consternation I learn after coming to USA that the answer that K.Vishwanath had provided was in celluloid ! The movie Sirivennela directed by K.Vishwanath featuring Sarvadaman Banerjee (Blind flautist) and Suhasini (Mute fan) went on to be preserved as an all time classic in telugu. He had chosen to portray the girl as mute and the guy as blind whereas in the poem I had chosen the opposite.


I was introduced to this song by one of my friends who had causally remarked in a conversation :"vidhata talapuna in telugu is a great song". Somehow the two words stuck on my memory. And one day, thanks to musicindiaonline.com ended up listening to this song.

As they say in tamil "uyirodu kalandhadhu" - It just dissolved in my soul and became an all time favorite in the very first listnening. IF melodies were queens, their undisuputed king would be SPB. And this is just another song that proves how soulful a song becomes in his voice.

Somehow with an irrepressible desire to sing the song in entirety I have not shared this any of my favorite lady singer friends. SPB, KVM and Susheela and you all - please pardon me.

Since the Karaoke had to be made by ripping the original mp3 and adjusted, the mixing is not that effective. To ease that, I have tried some voice overs. Hope you dont find it irritating.

Special thanks to Sudhamsu for correcting my pronunciation in the first part of the song. (We could not sit for the rest of the song. So whatever good pronuncition you hear is because of him and whatever is bad is because of me. You are welcome to point out the errors as I believe no song should be sung at the expense of its lyrics)

===============================

காற்றின் மேலுள்ள காதல் தன்னாலே
கடல்நீரும் அலைக்கைகள் நீட்டுதுவோ?
சீற்றம் தாஙகாமல் சிதறுதுவோ மட்டுளிகள் ?
சிறிதும் காணாமல் நீரும் சிலிர்த்து
மண்ணின் மனதை மிதித்து இறுக்கிடுதோ ?

வளியோடு வாரியது விளையாடுங் காலை
ஒவ்வாத நிலத்திர்கென் வேலை ?

நினைந்து நடக்கின்றேன்; நீரில் நிற்கின்றேன்;
நீரலைகள் என்பாதம் நீவிவிட நெகிழ்கின்றேன்;

மண்ணில் கோட்டைகள் மட்டின்றி கட்டிடலாம்;
மனதில் வேட்கைகள் குறைவின்றி கொண்டிடலாம்;
கண்ணில் தெரிகின்ற கனவுக ளையெல்லாம்
மெய்யாய்க் கண்டிடவும் ஆசைகள் வைத்திடலாம்;

காலமெனும் கூற்றுவனோ கண்ணின்றி கருக்கிடுவான்;
கனிகின்ற போதினிலும் கருமை படர்த்திடுவான்;

முன்னே நான்செல்ல முயலுங்கால் காண்கின்றேன்;
ஓரடியும் கால்வைக்க இயலாமல் இடறியொரு
கம்பத்தைக் கையில்கொண் டிருப்பவளைப் பார்ப்பேன்நான்
பனியில் கால்வைத்த அணில்போன்றும் பதைக்கின்றேன்
எழுலுருவாய் என்முன்னே நிற்கின்ற என்பெண்ணே !
எங்கே தொலைத்திடாய் உந்தன் பார்வயினை ?

ஒளியோடு வாழுங்கால் ஒருநூறு நண்பர்கள்
உனைசுற்றி வாழ்ந்தாரே ஒருவருமே இன்றில்லை!
களியொடும் கவினோடும் வாழ்ந்திட்ட நாளுன்மேல்
காதல் செய்தேனே!காணாதி ருந்தாயே!

இன்றோ அன்பனென யார்வந்தும் காணாது
இருக்கின்ற நிலையினிலே நின்றாயே - நின்னைக்

கண்ணின்றிக் காணத்தான் காலமெனை விட்டதா ?
வலியில்லை என்நெஞ்சில் வன்துயரம் தாங்கிடவும்.

சிலையாய் நிற்கின்றேன் சிந்தை கலங்கிபோய்!
சிறிதே அண்டிட்டு மேனில்யிலே சிதறுகிறாய்!
கைதொட்டு உனைத்தூக்கி நிறுத்திடவும் செய்திட்டால் - என்
கரம்கொண்ட வளையத்தால் கணத்திலெனை உணர்கின்றாய்!

"நீங்களா.. ?

முன்னம் வாழ்வினிலே சுற்றம்பல விருந்தார்
இன்னம் விழியின்றி இருக்குங்கால் - ஒரு
கழியே - எனக்கு
விழியே - மற்றும்
வழியே

உம்மனதை வெந்திட்டேன் முன்வாழ்விலானாலோ
தம்மனதைத் "தந்திட்டேன்" எனச்சொல்லி எனையேற்பார்
தாரணியில் இலர்போலும்!உளரோ ? சொல்வீர்நீர்!"

கண்ணே!

கடலின் மேற்புறத்தே அலைகள் உண்டென்றும்
ஆழ்புரத்து இல்லை இதுண்மை;மண்ணில்
மேலொன்றும் கீழ்ழோன்றும் (இ)ரண்டென்று இல்லையடி
என்றென்றும் ஓர்நிலையே தான்!

"வாழ்வு இருந்தக்கால் அன்பை நினைந்ததிலை
ஊழின் பயினிங்கு வாட்டுங்கால் உணர்கின்றேன்
ஏற்பீரோ என்னைநீர் இந்நிலையில்"என்றழுது
நிற்கின்றாள் !நினைவேன் நான்!

நின்னை அடைந்திடவே என்னதவம் செய்திருப்பேன் ?

காமத்த்தால் அன்றிக் காதலினால் மட்டும்
கருத்து ஒருமித்த வாழ்வும் தண்திடுவேன்! - ஆனால்

"இயம்புவதும் இயலாதே தோழி !
என் நாக்கினிலே வாக்கில்லை இன்று"

விழியைத் தொலைத்திட்டு வீதியில் நீ வந்தாய்
மொழியைத் தொலைத்திட்டு முன்னேனான் உள்ளேன்

ஏ வாணி !
என்னருகே வா நீ!

கண்மணி தன்னிடம் காதல் சொல்லிட்டே
கட்டாயம் தருகின்றேன் உன்னிடமே !

ஏ வாணி !
என்னருகே வா நீ!
=========================================

13 comments:

  1. Welcome back.
    I found the song to be pretty ordinary... your rendition is smooth and pleasant. I don't follow the lyrics, but I feel you have done justice to it overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murali,

    Very soothing !! Beautiful rendition and good mixing too. Enjoyed the entire song. Given the song translation is really appreciable.

    Expecting more numbers from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a song to come back man, absolutely loved it. Pallavi of this song always brings tears in my eyes, you nailed it man... The improvisations at the end were awesome. Mixing should have been a bit better. I felt in your singing that you are compressing your vocal cord a lot…I mean it would have sound pretty good if you could have sing it with free voice. There are some minor mistakes in your pronunciation, but that doesn’t take away the beauty of your rendition. Welcome back bro :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey murali,

    simply superb!!!!!!!!!! welcome back song from ur side... hearing your voice aftr a gap of few months... u have done good justice to this song.... keep going man..... need some more songs from ur side... all d best....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:57 AM

    Murali yaaa Kokkaaa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. Voice seemed a little strained. I would love to hear this again from you when you are fully recovered. Here is a link to the meaning of the lyrics of this song. I am sure it will be useful if you ever redo this song.

    http://vijaykumaryenne.blogspot.com/2008/03/analyzing-lyrics.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Romba nalla irukku...nalla paadi irukeenga...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reaching higher notes heard a little strainful.Otherwise a gud song.I became a gr8 fan of this song when I heard it recently the very first time.Keep up your good work.I have started a music blog recently.pls do listen to them and let me know your comments.

    meenasmusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Mulla, NIce poem and I really don't have any idea abt the pronunciation errors. Your voice is very good and Keep doing more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice rendition.. i liked the beginning vry much,..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Murali -

    Welcome back . Felt great hearing your voice after a long time...

    - Wishes, Sandhya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh indha song :D

    had the chance to listen to it thanks to you Murali.

    The song is a soother, has some very nice lines. Your voice suits it like a T probably moreso because you adore this song, makes a huge difference to the rendition :)

    Good one..

    ReplyDelete