Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Programme with Sahana in Bay Area - With Meera

This blog is being dusted.

To say that my short visit to SFO was colorfully enriched with wonderful memories would be an understatement. The family that was single-handedly responsible for that was Meera's. Almost every other weekend was spent with Ayush, Meera and Manohar. A typical weekend would start with wine in the evening kick-starting Mano's technical and comical brilliance about sundry stuff. Be it the famed reference to a mallu buying "Dungin Donuts" from a Chinese at the counter or the resolution of relative velocity in circular motion - Mano had me, Vijay and Narayanan in splits or in musing for most of the time. And as we occasionally warmly welcomed Mr. Johnnie Walker into our brigade in the night, the natural smile of Meera would slowly give way to a deliberately self-imposed one (aah..the pressure of having to act as a good host !). Of course the Thai food was ordered to help us with the solids not to forget Ramya Narayanan's inventive "Oats Dhosai". Meera and Co also surprised me with a hugely surprising and meticulously planned Birthday Bash for me which included Narayanan Venkitu, Vamshi, Narayanan, Balagopal and their families. They brought with them a whole range of food including Vaththak kuzambu. The winner on that day was Mano's Potato Curry though !

And all these wonderful hospitality coupled with regular visits to Komala Vilas transformed into pounds of flab before I boarded for Melbourne.


Gluttons at Komala Vilas



Whenever such little pleasures of life were not available, music came in as Meera, Narayanan and I discussed some songs. Meera and I sat for the songs azagaay poosum manjaL and kaNNimai thaanE aadume with Ayush sometimes providing some background music. Not many times does one get the opportunity of performing with his audio-blogging friends. I am probably the luckiest in that regard since I have performed with many of them. Anup, Barani, Sam and Karthik Gomadam performed with me in Raleigh in 2006. And the latest that happened was in Bay Area with Meera and Narayanan with Sahana.

Sahana's leader Arun was a pleasure to work with although he never distinguished between types of communication. He would scrap me on Orkut and presume he mailed me. Or would talk to Meera on phone and mistake for paging her. It was fun working with Ashwin, Srinath and Krishna - the instrumentalists. I ended up singing a couple of songs with my trademark slips.

One of them was Uyirin Uyire - a Kay Kay song - a genre I should probably not have attempted. I struggled at the start of the song due to a dry throat and unable to hear my voice back from monitors but warmed up in the middle. This video has more nostalgic value and less musical value.



With the sound system not really helping much to hear the low notes, Raja Raja Chozan was also approximately delivered. I had to cut off at places like "kaadhal theeve..maNmeedhu sorgam" to ensure that I was not braying the wrong notes.



The winners on that day were Raja M's "engeyum eppodhum", Vamshi's "Sangeetha Megam" and Meera's "Rangeela Theme". Bharathi did a great job on "aattama" and "vaan mEgam". You can catch them here.



Thanks to Kaumudee for coming and cheering us up !

14 comments:

  1. Anytime! It was a delight hearing you and Meera on stage. I have now become an intense fan....and little did I know Meera could sing Japanese as well!! Wowwa...GREAT show...awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, Mur....please look at the audience when singing...hehehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Ayush - Empty little plate - Bowl full of rice - He wants it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was a good treat Murali!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was an awesome feeling to look at it again Murali! Ofcourse, I am not mentioning the singing part *LOL*

    And thanks for "all" the mention of us 3 on your write up. It was a pleasure having you around, and moreover Ayush spent a good amt of time with you, and THAT gave the parents a break ;=)

    P.S: Uyirin was slight pitchy but then don't think it's that bad... c'mon now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see your post, after a looong wait... Yet to watch the video..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great watching u and meera sing live!!! thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raja raja sozhan was vry gud esp charanam.. sozhanukku yen chozhan nu paadineenga.. i was reminded of kannuku mai azhagu song where unni menon sings paravaiku 'chi'ragazhagu..

    ramya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kaumudee:

    The moment I take my eyes of paper, I may go blank.

    Rajesh:

    Thank you.

    Meera:

    Ya..Babysitting was fun with that little guy running amok all around !

    Sundar:

    Thanks. ''l wait on your word on video.

    Vidyu:

    I cam pretty close to engaging you and Swati in a concert and it had to be discarded. Bad luck.

    Ramya:

    Cho is the correct way of pronouncing according to tamil grammar. "sO" is not a letter at all in tamil. It has a more colloquial connotation. Infact chiragu is the right way to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont understand.. its ka sa da tha pa ra.. n not cha i believe ..though some words employ cha.. most of words use sa right.. like sol, sari, sandhegam, sattru, swAsam.. btw, in the original song is it pronounced cha? i dont think so

    ReplyDelete
  11. Murali, Watched the video.. Very nice. I played the video Raja Raja cholan and heard it many times, but watched the video only once. Since the lighting is not clear I recognized you only after hearing your voice. Your voice is very familiar to me than your face !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Murali
    Good to see a post from you after such a long time! "Raja Raja Chozhan" was beautifully done, though I could sense a compromise on quality in a few places due to the poor sound system.

    Now that you are back to business, you must start working on that long pending list...no excuses this time, pal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sundar : Thanks a lot. It is indeed strange u seem familiar with my voice and not the face !

    Adithi:

    thanks. I shall try to post some songs. I guess we need to work on a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes murali. Your voice is more familiar to me when comparing with your face. I've seen your photos only in orkut and that too a few times. But I heard your songs so many times.

    ReplyDelete