Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

SPB's greatest songs - My perspective

SPB - needs no intro. There is hardly any south Indian who does not love him (including malayalis). It is simply impossible to overlook his gargantuan contribution to the field of film music. SPB = playback and playback = SPB. A self-styled gentleman and a self-taught genius. A colossus both in sight and performance. Darling of the masses and music directors alike. It is almost an impossible task to list a few melodies of SPB here and classify them as the list that I love the most. Really speaking, the list of "Best of SPB songs" depend strictly on the mood.

  • When you feel languid, "nilaave vaa", "kELadi kaNmaNi", "thene thenpaaNdi" or"thanga nilavE unnai urukki"- will top your list.
  • When you feel resurgent with manly hormones peaking, you want to hear "namma ooru singaari".
  • When you feel naughty and romantic you pick "andharangam yaavumE". when you feel lovingly romantic you pick "nandhaa en nilaa".
  • When you feel sad, you could pick "pOguthE pOguthE" or "paadi parandha kiLi"
  • When you want to connect to he almighty you may pick "aayar paadi maaLigaiyil"
  • When your mood is classical, you get "Omkaara naadhaanu santhaana" from shankaraabaranam.

What is not there? one may wonder. There is nothing left for the mortals who followed him to experiment and find out. He has pretty much written the encylopaedia of playback singing. So, when I say "SPB's greatest songs", it becomes imminent that I mention in what context I am writing the list.

The context here, I would loosely put, as technical prowess. Technical prowess is a combination of multitude of factors - expression (bhaavam), enunciation (azuththam), pronunciation (uchcharippu), modulation (brighas and sangathis), breath control (moochchadakkam), ease of singing (paadum eLimai) , maintaining the scale (shruthi shuddham) and so on.. The list that I present here is more of a perspective. It concentrates mainly on the songs that have tough modulations ( brighaas and sangathis) to sing. These songs are a listener's delight and a (lesser) singer's nightmares. They challenge the singer to go beyond his perceived ability and perform. In my case, they both inspire and intimidate me. They inspire me since I learn new techniques and intimidate me because a the flow is not yet natural which is absolutely important for singing. Or in other words, I "enforce" these sangathis in my singing, whereas SPB sings "naturally". The gap can be lowered only by pressing the gas pedal on the practice.

Although I very well understand that it will be impossible to improve beyond a particular point (Well, adhukku mEla improve paNNinaa, genius kum namakkum enna vithyaasam ?), I just keep pushing myself into these songs by listening, contemplating and humming all the time. Let us first see the list of such songs which push the singer's threshold.

Top 10:
======

  1. Nandha nee en nilaa
  2. Enakkoru kaadhali
  3. Mazaiyum neeye
  4. KadhilE mEgama ( Telugu from movie Laila)
  5. ThErOttam (NuvvEna in telugu)
  6. Nalladhor veeNai
  7. KadavuL amaiththu vaiththa mEdai
  8. RaagangaL 16
  9. Niththam niththam en kaNNoram inbak kanaa
  10. Kamban yEmaanthaan

Next 10:
======

  1. IlakkaNam maaRudhO (tempted to include it in spite of being a duet)
  2. Maan kaNda swaragangaL
  3. Radha kaadhal varaadha
  4. Geetham Sangeetham
  5. ThiruththEril varum (a duet)
  6. Pon enpadho poovenbadho
  7. Mazaitharumo en mEgham
  8. Naan eNNum pozudhu
  9. Kadalil alaigaL thondrum aanaal
  10. Theerththakkaraiyinile therku mooliayil

I have already tried a few songs of SPB in my blog. I am planning to try a few more from the above list.

I will be similarly coming up with a list for my other favorite singers:

  1. K. J. Yesudas - my maanaseega guru :)
  2. Jeyachandran - singer par excellence whose voice SPB envied (his remark)
  3. Ajoy chakraborty - Bengali singer and one who I worship :)

14 comments:

  1. Murali,

    This post not only says a lot about SPB, it really says how well you know about music and the involvement you put in music. hats off to you...

    Only a good listener can be a good singer... You are defintely one.. great going.. waiting for other singers landmarks..

    Whom do you like among current young singers ?

    I am a die hard fan of Hariharan (my manaseega guru :), Karthik, and Unni menon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U left Oruvan Oruvan Mudhalali from Muthu.. It was an awesome combination good music, lyrics and voice

    ReplyDelete
  3. waiting for more songs from you... amazed at ur observation
    tata
    sukku

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murali,

    "Niththam niththam en kaNNoram inbak kanaa" from kutu puzhukkal is in your top ten ??.Then you are a hard core fan.welcome to the club.Beautiful list.

    Iam blogrolling you

    ReplyDelete
  5. SPB is the undisputed king of playback singing. You are right Murali, most malayalis, including me have a bias towards Yesudas. I always wished Das gets the best songs, which I believe he did, but SPB's range is mind blowing. Another thing which amazes me about him is the way he renders his songs on the stage, he remembers all the little nuances from the original.
    I'm familiar with most of the songs in the list, but will listen to it again. Do you have any links ?.

    PA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow murali.. you have surely put lot of thought into this. :) Beautiful list. All the songs mentioned above.. definetly top notch performance.
    I should do justification to your post.. Will actually put more thought and try to come up with my list. :)

    Also, Ajoy C. - u are kidding me. I have met very few people who have heard of him.. esp his bengali renditions. Awesome..

    One more fav of mine - Sabita Choudhary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SPB is a legend indeed , his voice is still good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Murali, please don't stop with male singers alone. Would like see a list for your favourite female playback singers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Very good list, most of them my favorites,especially "Nitham Nitham" (Koottup Puzhukkal) which I just HAVE to listen to at least twice in a row every time I hear it!! Of course there are lots more, from a previous period of SPB's career, like "Ponnendrum Poovendrum" (Nilave Nee Saatchi?), & "Aayiram Ninaivu" (Avalukkendru Or Manam). And I still get goose-bumps at times when I hear "Mazhaiyum Neeye"!
    By the way, can u give any clues abt a song "Anbai Kurippadhu Aanaa" by SPB & B Vasantha, I think, in which each line starts with a letter of the Tamil alphabet? Nobody except me seems to have heard this song! Would like to know what movie it is from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbai kurippadhu is from movie "Enna Mudhalali Sowkiyama". Gemini Ganesan and KR.Vijaya.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous5:14 AM

    Murali,
    how about some of my favourites
    vandaal mahalakshmiye from uyarnda ullam
    mun paniya from nanda
    thogai ila mayil from payanangal mudivadhillai
    kadhalin geethamondru from thambikku endha ooru
    if we go on at this rate we may get a list of 36000 songs! what a great man!what a great singer! blessed are we to be born in this era of film music
    keep the good work going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Was searching for lyrics of Nandha's song (mudhal paniya a beautiful composition) and i landed in ur blog. Its really great to see someone whos so very interested in nuances of music. Music really enthralls everyone..guess it has done more for you.
    Anyways keeps up these analysis which are very interesting for folks like us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i take pride in lisnin to almost all(or so i think)songs from SPB in kannada..will use ur list to catch up on tamil..
    had been to his live in concert very recently..and the God of playback singing... made my heart skip a few beats..
    can u please try singing sugam sugam-vandisolai chinnarasa...a song that doesnt seem to go away from my charts..
    and also uravenum-nenjatai kilathe

    finally..do u use gold wave for ur recording..thats what i use..ur recordings are far superior than mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh and i wish u included the names of movies for folks not familiar with tamil movies:(

    ReplyDelete